Thankful

Unlike last year's expedition, which could have been subtitled, 'airplane flight to 5 days of walking in chaotic environments,' this year's music department trip seemed like a manageable adventure. It was a four hour bus trip to spend 3 days and 2 nights in and around an interesting city. Because of the presence of a great school nurse, concerned chaperones and staff, and friends who have my daughter's back, we decided, with my daughter, that she'd travel without a parent. Here's the note [with awkward edits for privacy] I sent to the band director on the Monday after this year's trip:

Just a note to say thanks for a great music trip.
 
What a nice opportunity it was for the kids to attend Thursday's concert.  [My daughter] was especially excited to see such an incredible piano concerto performed. 
 
Between the concert, the chance for feedback and work on the concert band's competition pieces, and a fun and interesting collection of places to explore with friends, [my daughter] had a terrific time.
 
We're always happy to be involved in the life of the band, including chaperoning. But we're also grateful for the steps you and [the high school] as a whole have taken to allow [my daughter] to participate fully and safely without us present, encouraging her growing independence both diabetes-wise and beyond.
 
Looking forward to hearing tomorrow night's performance!

I mailed a similarly thankful note to the nurse who accompanied the kids on the trip. My daughter was in touch with her regularly via text, and they always knew where the other was. The nurse carried a little bag (within her giant 'nurse bag') with glucagon, glucose gel, and a spare meter set. Her assistance was never needed.

These notes reflected my acute awareness that my child was fortunate to have such a fun and positive trip.  There are other kids who are allowed to have these kinds of experiences but with much less quality support. And there are kids who are told (illegally but indisputably) that they can't participate at all. For three days Dexcom Share was my most-used app. The texts about the frosted flakes for breakfast and the bus full of rice crispy treats were cringe-worthy. But mostly, I'm thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. I review all comments before they are posted, so please be patient!